PEP: possibility of inline using of a symbol instead of "import"

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Thu Jan 6 12:32:12 EST 2011

On 01/06/2011 10:32 AM, Tim Harig wrote:
> 2. Your so-called PEP probably clashes with Python's use of @ for
> 	decorators.
>
> 3. Do you really expect a language holding the mantra that there should be
> 	a single way of doing things to embrace a language bloating feature
> 	for what is effectively already possible with the language as it
> 	exists?

Just as a side note, decorators (your #2, and an approved PEP) do
exactly what you mention in #3, as

  @my_decorator
  def my_func(...): pass

could just as well be written as

  def my_func(...): pass
  my_func = my_decorator(my_func)

so you #3 point is counterargued by your #2 point :-/

So the powers-that-be have certainly deemed *some* level of
syntactic sugar worthwhile.

That said, I'm -1 (okay, -0.5) on the OP's suggestion, both in
terms of the syntax clashing with decorators, and the need for
syntactic sugar in this case.

-tkc