opinion: comp lang docs style

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:55:49 EST 2011

On Jan 4, 3:17 pm, "ru... at yahoo.com" <ru... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 01/04/2011 01:34 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
>
> > On 1/4/2011 1:24 PM, an Arrogant Ignoramus wrote:
>
> > what he called
> >> a opinion piece.
>
> > I normally do not respond to trolls, but while expressing his opinions,
> > AI made statements that are factually wrong at least as regards Python
> > and its practitioners.
>
> Given that most trolls include factually false statements,
> the above is inconsistent.  And speaking of arrogant, it
> is just that to go around screaming "troll" about a posting
> relevant to the newsgroup it was posted in because you don't
> happen to agree with its content.  In doing so you lower
> your own credibility.  (Which is also not helped by your
> "Arrogant Ignoramus" name-calling.)

yeah.

i called them idiots, he calls me Artificial Intelligence ☺. fair
game.

> No.  The language reference (LR) and standard library reference
> (SLR) must stand on their own merits.  It is nice to have a good
> tutorial for those who like that style of learning.  But it should
> be possible for a programmer with a basic understanding of computers
> and some other programming languages to understand how to program
> in python without referring to tutorials, explanatory websites,
> commercially published books, the source code, etc.

yes exactly.

the best python reference to me is

Richard Gruet's quick ref:
http://rgruet.free.fr/PQR26/PQR2.6.html

on the python doc, afaik people complains all the time, and i know at
least 3 times in different years people have tried to bring up
projects to fix it, all shot down with spit badly by python priests,
of course.

just 2 days ago, i was pissed due to python doc url disappearance too
 http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_doc_url_disappearance.html

 Xah