Trying to decide between PHP and Python

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 19:23:34 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:54 PM, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
> On 1/6/2011 12:41 PM, Chris Rebert wrote:

>>>    If you're just doing simple web-based services, PHP is the
>>> way of least resistance.  It's supported by almost all hosting
>>> services.  Trying to run Python on shared hosting is generally
>>> painful.  Either you're stuck running in CGI, which means you
>>> take the cost of a Python load on every transaction, or you
>>> have to find someone who will let you run long-running
>>> processes so you can run FCGI/WSGI or some Python framework.
>>
>> VPS hosting can be surprisingly cheap these days though (e.g. prgmr's
>> super-cheapo plan is $4-5/month); you get root access, so setting up a
>> Python web application is much easier.
>
>    That makes it possible, but not easier.  If you're just running a
> typical web site with some "web 2.0" pages, forms, and a database,
> it's probably easier to use PHP.  Administering a virtual machine
> instance puts you in the system administration business.  With
> PHP, the hosting service will routinely handle that for you.
> You just create PHP pages, upload them, and the behind the scenes
> machinery is someone else's problem.  If PHP breaks on shared hosting,
> enough users will be screaming that it gets fixed.
>
>                                John Nagle

I'm not exactly a god unto sysadmins and I've had no problems with
either bargain-basement Python managed hosting or VPS's.

I'd encourage anybody looking at the differences between PHP and
Python to try both and get some hosting that lets you use either. I'm
pretty confident that in the long run Python will win out.

Geremy Condra