python 3 and Unicode line breaking

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jan 14 20:28:10 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:26:09 -0800, leoboiko wrote:
> As for taking the time to provide information, I wonder if there was any
> technical problem that prevented you from seeing my reply to Stefan,
> sent Jan 14, 12:29PM?

Presumably, since I haven't got it in my news client. This is not the
first time.

> He asked how exacly the stdlib module “textwrap”
> differs from the Unicode algorithm, so I provided some commented
> examples.

Does this help?

http://packages.python.org/kitchen/api-text-display.html

  kitchen.text.display.wrap(text, width=70, initial_indent=u'',
  subsequent_indent=u'', encoding='utf-8', errors='replace')

    Works like we want textwrap.wrap() to work
    [...]
    textwrap.wrap() from the python standard libray has two drawbacks
    that this attempts to fix:

       1. It does not handle textual width. It only operates on bytes or
          characters which are both inadequate (due to multi-byte and
          double width characters).
       2. It malforms lists and blocks.

--
Steven