After C++, what with Python?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Jan 16 01:03:25 EST 2011

On 1/15/2011 9:30 PM, Aman wrote:
> Hey all, I am a college student, and at college, we did most of the
> work in C/C++. I kind of stopped using C when I learned C++ (simply
> because C++ seemed a natural/elegant choice to me, and had backward
> compatibility with C). I've had a lot of experience with C++.
> Recently, I was on the path to learn a new programming language, and
> after suggestion of some of my friends and consulting the web, I
> chose to proceed with Python. I've finished with core Python and now
> I'm going through the various inbuilt packages that Python provides.
> I have an inquisitive mind, and while programming, I always want/tend
> to make something that is out of the box. It would be great if you
> people could guide me as to what to proceed with and how.

    If you know C++ well, and have a computer science background.
Python is trivial. Here's what you need to know:

    It's a safe dynamically typed imperative object oriented language,
with explicit classes.  The language is declaration-free and
block structure is defined by indentation.  Threading is supported
but thread concurrency is marginal.  The most common implementation is
a naive interpreter with reference counting backed up by a mark
and sweep garbage collector.  Performance is about 1/60 of
optimized C code.

    That's Python.

			John Nagle