Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 16 18:14:44 EST 2011

On 1/16/2011 1:27 PM, rantingrick wrote:

> least look at the awesome screen shots here...
>
>      http://www.wxpython.org/screenshots.php

I did. Well, they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!". To me,
these are mostly awesomely ugly, ugly, ugly. Shot 1: Ugly gray field
followed by shot2: ugly black on gray. These first two examples look
like Windows 95/8 -- ie, 20th century look, not 21st.

Based on this page, wxwidgets would be a regression from tk. Current
tkinter on Windows looks like it use native Windows windows. IDLE on
WinXP looks like a WinXP app; on Windows 7 it looks like a Windows 7
app. If wxwidgets/wxpython does the same, this page hides it very well.
And this is apparently an update from 'the old Screen shots' page.

The above is based on presented looks. I have no idea whether, to what
extent, and how easily one could duplicate the layout and performance of
the examples with tk. There are, however, other problems with wx that I
have and will point out in other posts.

--
Terry Jan Reedy