[OT] Python like lanugages

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Mon Jan 17 02:21:49 EST 2011

geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> writes:
> I agree. That does not make Go that language, and many of the choices
> made during Go's development indicate that they don't think it's that
> language either. I'm speaking specifically of its non-object model,
> lack of exceptions, etc ....
> You might be right, but I doubt we'll know one way or the other in the
> next 5 years. Personally, I'm hoping that functional language use
> continues to grow.

You know, the functional programming community seems to think of OOP as
a 1990's thing that didn't work out.  Most things that can be done with
OOP, can be done with higher-order functions and bounded polymorphism
like in Haskell.

I'm not sure, but I don't think Erlang has exceptions in the sense we're
used to.  Someone mentioned Erlang uses a VM, but I think there is a
native compiler called HIPE.  Of course there is still a fairly
substantial runtime system, but that's true of any language with a
garbage collector and so forth.

Scala seems like an interesting language that is maybe a bit more
"practical" than Haskell.  I want to try writing something in it.  Yes
it's JVM-bound but maybe the Java aspects can be decoupled somehow.