Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:11:36 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 12:29 pm, Adam Skutt <ask... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Until we have pixel-perfect touch sensors, toolkits for devices with
> pointer interfaces (e.g., PCs) and toolkits for devices with touch
> interfaces (e.g., phones and tablets) will necessarily be different.
>
> You note this yourself: the UI paradigms that work well when you have
> a pixel-perfect pointer do not work at all when you have a touch
> screen, especially on a limited size and resolution display.
>
> Even if you're provided a "single" toolkit, you still end up with two,
> maybe three, different applications, each using different widgets
> targeted for the device they run on.  And no one provides a "single"
> toolkit: while Silverlight can run on the desktop, the web, and now on
> Windows Phone, you can't use the same widgets everywhere; ditto with
> Cocoa for OS X and Cocoa Touch for iTouch devices.
>
> While some further unification is obviously possible, it's rather
> doubtful we'll ever have unified widgets that are truly workable on
> the web, on the "desktop", and on a portable touch screen device.

Adam now you are making sense. Everything you said here is true. This
is why we must push for the OpenGUI standard. The entropy in GUIs has
exploded exponentially and rendered them all useless. We must unify
the collective knowledge base into a single system and shake up the
GUI world from top to bottom. Any other effort is just wasted energy.
Forget WxPython, Forget WxWidgets, Forget any and all GUI libraries
that exists, they are all moot at this point and we are -years-
DECADES behind in development and integration.

 See my reply to Rodger for more detail..