[OT] Python like lanugages [was Re: After C++, what with Python?]

Tim Harig usernet at ilthio.net
Tue Jan 18 14:53:57 EST 2011

On 2011-01-18, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/18/2011 10:30 AM, Tim Harig wrote:
>
>> Whether or not you actually agree with that economic reality is
>> irrelevant.  Those who fund commerical projects do; and, any developement
>> tool which violates the security of the source is going to find itself
>> climbing an uphill battle in trying to gain market penetration with
>> commericial software producers.
>
> Of course. When I submit or commit patches, I am doing it mostly for
> hobby, educational, and scientific users, and maybe website makers (who
> make site I can visit). If commercial users piggyback on top, ok. I do
> not know how many developers, if any, are after such market penetration.

You kind of over-extended the intentions of my comment.  It does not apply
to open source software in general.  I agree that open source authors are
not interested in the quantitative value of market penetration.  However, I
am betting that most authors of developement tools would like to be able to
use their tools on the job.

I am sure that more software developers would love to develop using
Python as part of their job.  For some this is a reality; but, many more
are stuck using their employer's choice of language.  One of the factors
that employers consider, when they choose a language, if they produce
retail software is that the process of compiling will sufficiently
obfiscate their code.