move to end, in Python 3.2 Really?

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 18:04:30 EST 2011

On Jan 18, 3:05 pm, MRAB <pyt... at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> The Python community are volunteers. Nothing gets done until someone
> volunteers to do it. The "suggestion box" is your idea. Why don't you
> set it up and report back?

Agreed, i would gladly accept you nominating me as the Suggestion Box
president. However we need to decide where the best place to put the
"suggestion box" will be. Sure i could open a website called
"pythonsuggestionbox.com" however i doubt anybody that *needs* to find
it ever would. Heck i would feel "lucky" if a few trolls dropped by
and asked for the GIL to be removed. ;-)

In light of that, the only place --and i would argue the best place--
is the official website with a nice link on the home page although i
don't expect that will happen. In that case c.l.py becomes the winner
by default.

Why? Well imagine you are a new python user. Where would you look for
help after downloading the installer? Of course you might go back to
check out python.org a bit more. The next logical step would be python
help and then c.l.py. So either we add a suggestions area to the
official site OR make this group more accessible to the average user.
If it were my choice, i would just make this group more accessible to
newcomers and be done with it. Much eaiser, much less work, and more
results will be produced.

How can we make c.l.py more accessible you ask? Well a good start
would be for some of the well known "elites" to make a public
announcement. If we could convince Guido to make a speech that would
be wonderful however i know he cannot do everything.

"""
In this statement we must stress that a new age of community has
dawned -- an age of freedom. That all pythoneers are created equal and
in the image of Guido. No, not of his physical image, but of his
vision, his wisdom, and his compassion. That we will admonish those
that wish to belittle the most feeble among us and elevate those who
would carry the torch of community at the very expense of their own
selfless vanity. That we are moving forward as a collective group
united in vision, in spirit, and in solidarity for the future
evolution of Python -- and for the greater good of all programming
languages!
"""

Once we get c.l.py back on track i believe it will take some time but
eventually the masses will return and rejoin our efforts. New users
will mold into he community and we shall all reape the benefits.
Hopefully with enough good will and collaboration we can do great
things and save Python from an untimely demise. However we must act
quickly, because the time is ticking away...