Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Tue Jan 18 23:35:26 EST 2011

On 01/18/2011 11:15 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 18, 10:10 pm, Corey Richardson <kb1... at aim.com> wrote:
>
>> That is a pretty large dependency to rely on, and it is rather
>> undesirable IMO.
>
> And what exactly is undesirable? Unless you actually back up your
> statements with fact they just ring hallow. Can you offer any specific
> reasons why wx is a bad choice. And more importantly can you offer any
> viable alternatives?

Go ahead and read Adam's fine post about the dependencies of wxwidgets.
As for alternatives? I think Tkinter is fine for most of my purposes.
When I need something else, I use PyQt. I can install python-minimal on
Windows/Linux/What-have-you and know that Tkinter will run without
needing GTK+ and SWIG, as Adam mentioned. If you want to get something
done, here's an idea - do it yourself. That's what OS is all about.
Don't just write something, implement it. If the folks over in
python-dev want nothing to do with it, that's fine - make a package
using your minimal wxpython version, I'm sure people will use it,
especially if you make it as easy to use as Tkinter.

I'm done with this thread. I inserted my 12 cents. Have a nice day, and
good luck with your ventures.

~Corey