Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:47:06 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 10:41 am, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not true. WxPython uses wxWIDGETS which uses the default OS widgets which usually offer the accessibility features.
> (At least under Windows, but most users that need accessibility use Windows anyway).

Right, under Windows, which is a problem.  By your line of reasoning,
you really should be supporting PySide / PyQt and not wxWidgets, since
they at least play at cross-platform support.

> > The alternative is to fix the accessibility support issues in the
> > underlying library, and Tk is no less amenable to that than
> > wxWidgets.  If that's what you want, start coding then.  You have a
> > long climb ahead of you.
>
> The underlying libraries for Windows offer the necessary accessibility and WxPython uses it, but Tkinter uses Tk not those libraries.

wxWidgets' support is completely inadequate for a true cross-platform
system, the developers are aware of this and acknowledge this and
believe a rewrite is necessary.  Thus, it is currently really in no
better state than Tk.

> > Or we have cross-platform support as a requirement and no desire to
> > develop the GUI interface three times over.  Hence the continued
> > popularity of Java GUIs.
>
> Java GUIS are accessible. Maybe that's the reason.

No, the reason is as I stated, no more, no less.  Accessibility
doesn't enter into most designs.

Adam