Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 15:41:04 EST 2011

From: "Adam Skutt" <askutt at gmail.com>
> wxWidgets' support is completely inadequate for a true cross-platform
> system, the developers are aware of this and acknowledge this and
> believe a rewrite is necessary.  Thus, it is currently really in no
> better state than Tk.

It depends on what you mean by a "true cross-platform" system. wxWIDGETS run on more platforms, so it is cross-platform and it is also accessible for more categories of users.
Other systems are bad not only because they are not accessible for everyone, but also because they don't use the underlying GUI of the operating system they are used on, so they have a different look and feel. Even the accessibility, the possibility of accessing the GUIs with a keyboard also means look and feel.

> > Or we have cross-platform support as a requirement and no desire to
> > develop the GUI interface three times over. Hence the continued
> > popularity of Java GUIs.
>
> Java GUIS are accessible. Maybe that's the reason.

> No, the reason is as I stated, no more, no less.  Accessibility
> doesn't enter into most designs.

Which are those "most designs"? I've shown you that the most used GUIS are made to be accessible out of the box and all the GUIS should offer these facilities.

Octavian