Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 16:24:07 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 12:22 pm, pa... at cruzio.com wrote:

> Who or what group is actually in charge of what libraries (and programming
> commands/methods such as the Python 3.x rewrite of 'print') goes into
> Python?

Well it comes down to "Guido, some Guys, and a mailing list". see this
link fro more detail...

    http://www.python.org/dev/intro/

> Is this huge discussion really a few feature requests for
> additional libraries to be included for Windows programming?

No, this HUGE discussion is primarily about the worth of Tkinter as
our chosen GUI module and whether or not we should replace it. It also
contains (and rightly so!) undertones as to the lost vision within
this community as a whole. Not to mention the missing cohesiveness to
move forward in the correct direction.

>  And aren't
> some of these libraries developed by 3rd parties?

Yes Python has many 3rd party packages available. You should
familiarize yourself with both the current stdlib AND the packages
list. Both are here...

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=index
    http://docs.python.org/release/3.0.1/modindex.html

> And how is that handled
> by the people in charge?  Do they have to pay to license it or is this all
> freely contributed software?

This statement needs clarification because i cannot decide if you are
asking from a Python stdlib perspective or a 3rd party package
perspective. In any event Python and the stdlib should be all free and
open software. And shame on anyone who releases closed source
software!

Shame on you greedies! Shame on you! >:(