Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Martin Gregorie martin at address-in-sig.invalid
Wed Jan 19 16:38:30 EST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:45:22 -0800, Patty wrote:

> [...]

IME you'll find that networking a Windows box to an older, slower PC thats
rescued from the attic will be much more useful than a single dual-boot
arrangement.

Linux will run at a usable speed on a PC with 512 MB RAM  and an 866 MHz
P3, though some things, such as logging in, will be slow with a graphical
desktop (runlevel 5), but if it has more RAM or you run an X-server on
another PC, which could be running Windows, you'll execute commands,
including graphical ones - provided you have X.11 forwarding enabled, a
lot faster. The Linux box can also be headless if you haven't a screen
and keyboard to spare. In short, Linux will run well on a PC that can't
run anything more recent than Win98 at an acceptable speed. It doesn't
need a lot of disk either - anything more than 30 GB will do. However, an
optical drive is needed for installation. You can install Fedora from a
CD drive provided the box is networked so it can retrieve most of its
packages over the net, but using a DVD drive would be easier for a first
install.

> True.  I have a Compaq Presario that is so old hardware-wise that I
> don't think it could handle Unix or Linux.

What speed and type of CPU does it use? How much RAM? What's about disk
and optical drives?

FWIW my house server is an IMB Netvista that is at least 10 years old -
866MHz P3, 512 GB RAM, LG DVD drive, new 160GB hdd and runs Fedora 13. It
is a bit slow at runlevel 5 (graphical desktop) when driven from its own
console, but I usually access it over the house net from a more modern
Core Duo laptop that runs Fedora 14. The NetVista is more than adequate
for web and RDBMS development (Apache and PostgreSQL) in Python or Java
and very fast for C compilation.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK