Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Adam Skutt askutt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 17:40:35 EST 2011

On Jan 19, 4:04 pm, "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Those rules for creating an accessible application are obvious; like the fact that a button need to contain a text label and not only an image, or that an image needs to have a tooltip defined, or that a radio button needs to have a label attached to it, but all those things can be solved by the programmer and usually the programmer create those text labels.

The fact that /every/ toolkit provides accessibility guidelines over
and above whatever other UI guidelines they provide tells me that
creating an accessible application is hardly obvious.  Plus, if it
were really that simple, the accessibility situation wouldn't be so
poor.

> Yes, those things should be followed for creating a better app, but what I wanted to say is that no matter if you do those things or not in a Tk, Gtk or QT GUI, they will be useless, because the screen readers can't understand those GUIS even they have text labels, and even if you will see a focus rectangle around buttons. They don't report that those objects have the focus so the screen readers won't speak anything.

Your "something is better than nothing" argument isn't particularly
compelling to me personally as a justification for ripping out
TkInter.  And Qt is the only toolkit with some level of functioning
accessibility support on all three major platforms, assuming the
library and software are built correctly, so again, your argument is
really for Qt, not for wxWidgets.

Adam