Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 22:20:47 EST 2011

On 01/19/2011 05:01 PM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:04 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And you've also lost all
>> connection with the people. I am desperately trying to to snap you out
>> of this psychosis before it is too late! Tkinter will be the downfall
>> of Python if we cannot muster the resolve to replace it with something
>> that is current (or more current) technology.

I don't see the original bizarre rants for some reason (spam filter
likely), but I have to say this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard
in some time.  Tkinter the downfall of python?  Wow.  All of the python
programmers I know (we use python every day at work) would  say, "what
is tkinter?"  It's just not relevant to any of them that I know.  Google
probably uses as much Python as anyone, and their programmers would
probably agree.  Perhaps that's an argument to remove tkinter entirely,
but not really a good one.

In the meantime they happily crank out code with Django, or PyQt, or
PyGTK, or even Tkinter--whatever tool is appropriate for the job.

> Citation needed.

Perhaps a reference to Xah Lee's web site would suffice.