Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:09:12 EST 2011

From: "Grant Edwards" <invalid at invalid.invalid>
>>> On all of my computers, wxPython uses Gtk.  There are other choices
>>> for wxWidget backends on Linux, but Gtk is by far the most common.
>>> IOW, if Gtk is bad, then wxPython is bad.
>>
>> Not true.
>
> I think you're playing a bit fast and loose with your accusations.

:-)
I've made no accusations, but I only try to inform the people about the
accessibility of different GUI libs.

> Which of my statements was "not true"?
>
> 1) On all of my computers wxPython uses Gtk.
>
> 2) There are other backend choices on Linux besides Gtk.
>
> 3) Gtk is by far the most common wxWidgets backend on Linux/Unix.
>
> 4) If Gtk is bad then wxPython is bad.
>
> Note that 4) follows logically from 3), so to say that 4) is "not
> true" you have to show that 3) is "not true".

The wrong conclusion is that if Gtk is bad, then WxPython is bad.
Gtk is inaccessible under Windows, not under Linux, but WxPython doesn't use
Gtk under Windows so WxPython is OK.

Under Linux Gtk is OK, but I don't know about Motif. Under Linux Motif might
not be accessible, however note that I am not sure about Motif's
accessibility.

Octavian