Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Thu Jan 20 12:27:17 EST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:26 AM, Octavian Rasnita wrote:

>> I'm a complete newbie to Python.
>

> To Python, or to programming in general? (Because it is important)

Not to rantingrick's point as I understand it.
But since you ask, new to Python, not new to programming.  >25 yrs experience, most of it with Smalltalk.

>> I'm still learning the language.  And you know what?  I've ignored Tkinter.
>

> Why did you do that?

2 main reasons -- it hasn't come up yet, and I was attracted to wxPython by the promise of host-compatible look&feel, and the plethora of resources available for self-study in my preferred modes.

>> I quickly discovered the alternatives and am already working with wxPython.
>> I can't believe anyone is so hung up by their own arrogance that they honestly believe that the mere *presence* of a gui kit inside of the standard distribution would prevent a newbie from learning about the existence and possible benefits of alternatives.  Sure, *they* can see alternatives and evaluate why Tkinter might not be a good choice under conditions x or y or z,
>

> Nobody said that the fact that Python promotes Tkinter *prevents" the beginners to learn to use another GUI.

It's an iunavoidable implication of rantingrick's rant about Tkinter and the downfall of Python.
I would like to agree that only a deranged minority hold that Tkinter is either a 'downfall point' or prevents individuals from learning and using alternative GUIs.

> I just say that if Python promotes Tkinter, the beginners that might not have experience programming in other languages might not know at all which is the difference between all those GUI types, and it might not know at all that there are more GUI types and it won't know for sure which are the differences between them.

I agree.

> And for a real beginner in programming it could be harder and less important to make the effort of finding and downloading and installing another GUI just because it offer some features which are not interesting for most users, so he/she will prefer using what Python offers and he/she won't know that that solution is bad.

I tend to agree, but weakly.  Python is touted for it's vast library support, and that library is pretty much "in your face" if you use the web to look for the language and resources on the language.  I have a lot of trouble believing that anyone smart enough to program [i.e., smart enough to tie their own shoes, basically] would not find and investigate those resources.
Mind you, I think more focus on Tkinter in the learning  materials would be a nice thing to have.  Although bear in mind I may have a skewed view of what counts as good introductions to GUI toolkits given my early and long exposure to Smalltalk...  Where's Python's toothpaste, sketchpad, etc?

cheers,
Bill

PS.  Still not used to a mailing list that sets the 'reply to' to the author, not the list, so inadvertently sent this only to Octavian.  Rectified herewith, along with a promise to pay more attention ;-)