Tkinter: The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Thu Jan 20 13:17:01 EST 2011

On 1/20/2011 9:32 AM Adam Skutt said...
> On Jan 20, 10:44 am, "Octavian Rasnita"<orasn... at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> From: "Adam Skutt"<ask... at gmail.com>
>> Actually, JAWS uses MSAA dead last, as I understand it, because the
>> API is truly that awful.  But MSAA is necessary whenever you're not
>> using a Win32 common control or most of the other stuff developed by
>> MS.  That means essentially every non-MS toolkit that's been
>> discussed.
>>
>> Yes, but WxPython uses wxWIDGETS and wxWIDGETS use the standard Win32 controls under Windows, so they are accessible.
>> And they use Gtk under Linux and Gtk is accessible under Linux also.
>
> wxGTK is not, though.  wxWidgets is only accessible under Windows.  Qt
> is accessible under Windwos, OS X, and anything that supports AT-
> SPI[1].  Yet, for some unfathomable reason, you keep promoting
> wxWidgets even though it is plainly the inferior solution.

The problem with QT is the license.

 From http://qt.nokia.com/products/licensing/:

Qt Commercial Developer License
The Qt Commercial Developer License is the correct license to use for
the development of proprietary and/or commercial software with Qt where
you do not want to share any source code.

You must purchase a Qt Commercial Developer License from us or from one
of our authorized resellers before you start developing commercial
software as you are not permitted to begin your development with an open
source licensed Qt version and convert to the commercially license
version at a later . The Qt Commercial Developer License includes a
restriction that prevents the combining of code developed with the Qt
GNU LGPL v. 2.1 or GNU GPL v. 3.0 license versions with commercially
licensed Qt code.