Best way to administer code updates to server daemon

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sat Jan 22 19:37:49 EST 2011

Carl Banks <pavlovevidence at gmail.com> writes:
> I don't know of any off-hand but there are probably virtual network
> drivers that sit between your server and the network stack that can
> keep a connection open.
>
> It seems like it'd be a common enough need that someone's figured out
> an easy way to handle it.

I don't see big conceptual obstacles to making a network stack itself be
able to package up the internal state of a TCP or even SSL connection,
and hand it off to another computer over a LAN, so that you could have
graceful turnover of live connections.  They could even cross-update
info about the connection for hardware failover.  I woder if (e.g.)
Erlang OTP already does something like that.  I worked on a device with
such a feature a while back, based on very special purpose hardware and
software and a special (hardware) communication bus for the purpose, but
with some careful coding it can probably be done with stock hardware and
ethernet.