WxPython versus Tkinter.

Nicholas Devenish misnomer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:07:40 EST 2011

Hi Adam,

I'm still learning my way around wxPython and gui programming, been
mostly linux and CLI since Visual Basic 5, and only recently started
learning it.

On 23/01/2011 18:09, Adam Skutt wrote:
> 1. There's a bug related to loading of your resources.
> 2. There's a bug related to when file I/O is performed.
> 3/4. There's at least two bugs related to handling of a specific mouse
> event.
> 5. There's a bug related to reporting errors to the user.
>
> All of these bugs, except one[1], show a grave misunderstanding about
> how GUI toolkits operate and/or how the underlying operating systems
> behave.
 >
> [1] Which is only because wxWidgets has a bug in this regard.  That
> being said, a workaround exists and trivial to find online.

I'd be curious as to what these bugs are, as a learning exercise, if you
don't mind. I don't mind a direct mail if you wish not to subject
yourself to any more abuse on the list, as would almost certainly come.
I'd especially like to be pointed at the error you refer to in [1].

On to the topic of the program direct, the 'List view' button doesn't
seem to work on my platform, showing a blank folder icon and nothing
else, but I don't know if that is related to any of these bugs.

I actually looked around when I wanted to start learning gui
programming, and chose wxPython because it seemed to use 'native'
controls on all of the platforms. This file viewer just looks awful (is
it supposed to flicker so much when I try to change the column size?) so
I'm not exactly sure what it is supposed to prove.

Nick