documentation / reference help

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jan 23 19:48:00 EST 2011

On 1/23/2011 1:41 PM, Scott Meup wrote:
> I'm trying tolearn Python.  The documentation tells syntax, and other things
> about a command.  But for too many commands, it doesn't tell what it does.
> for instance, in VB the 'return' command tells the program what line to
> execute after some event (usually an error). In Python it appears to return
> a value.  Where does it return it to?

The return object replaces the function call in the expression that
contains the function call.

Given: x = 1; j = [2,3]; def f(): return 4
the expression: x + y[1] + f()
becomes: 1 + 3 + 4

In other words, names are looked up in the appropriate namespace and
replaced with the object they are associated with in that namespace.
Names followed by square brackets are replaced by the result of an
indexing operation. Names followed by parentheses are called and
replaced by the object returned.

--
Terry Jan Reedy