WxPython versus Tkinter.

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Sun Jan 23 20:40:34 EST 2011

On 01/23/2011 08:25 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jan 23, 5:44 pm, "Martin v. Loewis"<mar... at v.loewis.de>  wrote:
>>> For something as common as displaying a file browser, it should be as
>>> simple as this:
>>
>>> import gui_toolkit  # whichever
>>> path = gui_toolkit.select_file()
>>
>>> Something like zenity:
>>
>>> [steve at sylar ~]$ zenity --file-selection
>>> /home/steve/python/findsingle.py
>>
>> And indeed, it is that simple:
>>
>> python -c "import tkFileDialog as tkfd;print tkfd.askopenfilename()"
>

> Martin the tkFileDialog.ask* uses the platform specific Open, Save
> dialogs which DO contain a ListCtrl. Obviously this ListCtrl is not
> available to Tkinter uses. You just exposed your weak knowledge of
> Tkinter and sadly you are very high on the community totem pole. Very
> sad :(

Actually, the people on the top of the totem pole were of less social
status.
http://podcasts.howstuffworks.com/hsw/podcasts/sysk/2009-11-17-sysk-totem-poles.mp3?_kip_ipx=1723793795-1295833113

(Finally, useful knowledge from listening to podcasts in my off-time!)

You have also ignored that I gave the same information as him (minus the
traceback), saying that I am on Linux Mint 64bit.

Why can't we use a TreeCtrl? If we can't use all our widgets, why can
you use all yours?

~Corey