WxPython versus Tkinter.

Bryan bryan.oakley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:24:58 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 12:06 am, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 9:16 am, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:
>
> Of course as Steven pointed out wx is written in C++ which is almost
> certainly where the crash is occurring.
> But this is technical nitpicking.
> The real issue is that when coding in C/C++ segfaults are a daily
> affair.
> Whereas for python its the first time I am seeing it in 10 years...

In my experience, segfaults with wxPython aren't daily, but they are
pretty much weekly. There are weeks that can go by without them, but
then I'll have several in a week to bump up the average.

wxPython is fairly sensitive to coding mistakes, and the documentation
is sufficiently weak that it's easy to make coding mistakes. There are
a lot of things you can do that aren't valid in particular contexts,
and instead of throwing a catchable error you get a segfault. Plus, as
we've seen, it's platform specific. So it's easy to create code that
works great on one platform even with some bad code in it, and that
same code will segfault on another platform.

This shouldn't be enough to keep you from using wxPython, it just
means you have to be a bit more diligent and you can't assume that
your linux code will work on windows or visa versa without testing.
tkinter seems far less susceptible to that. Mostly with tkinter the
platform issues are true platform issues (font availability, file
paths, etc).