WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:32:42 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 7:24 am, Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:06 am, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 9:16 am, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:
>
> > Of course as Steven pointed out wx is written in C++ which is almost
> > certainly where the crash is occurring.
> > But this is technical nitpicking.
> > The real issue is that when coding in C/C++ segfaults are a daily
> > affair.
> > Whereas for python its the first time I am seeing it in 10 years...
>
> In my experience, segfaults with wxPython aren't daily, but they are
> pretty much weekly.

hmm

> There are weeks that can go by without them, but
> then I'll have several in a week to bump up the average.

Yes, and this could not be your problem, it must be wxPython. Right?
*rolls-eyes*

> wxPython is fairly sensitive to coding mistakes,

Oh so now we get the picture...

>  and the documentation
> is sufficiently weak that it's easy to make coding mistakes.

That is somewhat true.

>  There are
> a lot of things you can do that aren't valid in particular contexts,
> and instead of throwing a catchable error you get a segfault.

And we need to fix that instead just disqualifying a feature rich
toolkit.

> Plus, as
> we've seen, it's platform specific. So it's easy to create code that
> works great on one platform even with some bad code in it, and that
> same code will segfault on another platform.

Again, were is the community spirit. I have windows and you have
linux. Let's write some code and do cross testing and then fix the
bugs.

> This shouldn't be enough to keep you from using wxPython, it just
> means you have to be a bit more diligent and you can't assume that
> your linux code will work on windows or visa versa without testing.

Thank you!

> tkinter seems far less susceptible to that. Mostly with tkinter the
> platform issues are true platform issues (font availability, file
> paths, etc).

Yes because Tkinter is lacking. Because Tkinter is not even half the
library that wx is.