WxPython versus Tkinter.

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:49:53 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 7:24 am, Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 12:06 am, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 9:16 am, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:
>
> > Of course as Steven pointed out wx is written in C++ which is almost
> > certainly where the crash is occurring.
> > But this is technical nitpicking.
> > The real issue is that when coding in C/C++ segfaults are a daily
> > affair.
> > Whereas for python its the first time I am seeing it in 10 years...
>
> In my experience, segfaults with wxPython aren't daily, but they are
> pretty much weekly. There are weeks that can go by without them, but
> then I'll have several in a week to bump up the average.

I've only run my code on Windows and Linux, but I haven't had this
issue. The only time I've had segfaults was when I was first learning
how to get threading and wx to work properly and when I was creating
binaries with py2exe.

On a completely different note, as a heavy wxPython user for almost 5
years, I have never seen the OP on our mailing list, dev group or IRC
channel. While I like wx more than Tk, I think this thread is a
terrible way to try to show that wx is better. I like the concept of
creating a challenge to see which toolkit can do what, but this is not
the way to go about it.

Bryan, on the other hand, has been a Tkinter luminary who has helped
me in the past when I was learning Tkinter and I won't be too
surprised if he helps me again. I'm sorry he's had so much trouble
with wx though.