WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:48:53 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 12:21 pm, "Littlefield, Tyler" <ty... at tysdomain.com> wrote:

[...snip: good discussion...]

>  Rather, I believe
> those pushing accessibility should concentrate on the root cause; that
> of fixing TKInter, and not forcing everyone else to use a different library.

Now you go too far!

And this is an ironic position from someone who supports the stdlib
GUI that IS forced on us by default. Sure you can choose a different
library, but in the case of a user (and accessibility is a big USER
concern when that user is handicapped!) the library is already chosen
(Tkinter:which does not support accessibility) by the developer . I
can also argue that Tkinter's inclusion in the stdlib is proliferating
non-compliance with accessibility. I'll bet you would not park in a
handicap spot however you support a GUI library that ignores handicap
people? IRONIC!

> I believe that the approach is the main key here, and I have had this
> argument many times. If I wrote an app, and someone said something along
> the lines of "you need to change a core library because it doesn't work
> with this program," my first response would be who the hell are you to
> say what I need to use?

Well these people you are chastising are disabled people. Who the hell
are YOU to be high and mighty about it? I guess these "disabled"
people get what they deserve huh! Maybe we should just do the world a
favor and exterminate them like the Nazis? That way we don't have to
cater to their selfish needs!

> We need to take the approach of "This is what is
> wrong, this is why, this is possibly how it could be fixed. Would you be
> willing to do so?"

WE ALL NEED TO TAKE THAT APPROACH TYLER, INCLUDING YOURSELF!!!

> So, with all of this said, TKInter -is- unaccesssible for us. My
> arguments have not been for or against one or the other in this thread,
> but more to get RR to make a better point.

Yea, and i just made it.

>  Because eventually, WX would
> benafit those using a screen reader a lot more than say, TKInter will.
> That doesn't mean that I'm saying that we need to make it a part of the
> stdlib as of yesterday, because segfaults from someone with 10+ years of
> experience (multiple people, actually) says a lot, whether or not RR
> wants to acknowledge said facts. I can not with good conchence say that
> the switch should be done just for accessibility purposes.

No one said accessibility was the only argument. However it IS very
important in todays time. We are not living in the dark ages, much
less under Hitlers rule! If a GUI library has refused to recognize
accessibility concerns a decade into the 21st century, just how long
must we wait Tyler? HOW LONG?

> Obviously it
> would be awesome, but I think Octavian is just focusing on himself, and
> not the actual big picture here.

<sarcasum> Yes Octavian is the only disabled person in the world. What
a selfish, selfish person he is. Shame on you Octavian, Shame on You!
</sarcasum>

You just showed your true colors Tyler, very sad. :(