WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:17:36 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 2:49 pm, Bryan <bryan.oak... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2:33 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes and you made your selfishness quite clear! Be careful my friend,
> > because as Tyler found out, this mindset becomes a slippery slope
> > *very* quickly!
>
> I merely made the observation that most programmers don't think about
> these topics and it would be good to get some more enlightenment, you
> now you're accusing me of selfishness?

If you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.
I think you *do* want to help proliferate accessibility. However, you
have not displayed the attitude that we need to win the fight. You
see, selfishness is a natural human trait. We all harbor selfishness
to some degree. Even myself! We cannot fully ever be free of this
selfishness. However we can fight and suppress selfishness until it's
ill effects have no "noticeable" effect.

This is what i am speaking of when i say that you are part of the
problem. You need to educate your co-workers about accessibility. You
need to make them aware of their own selfish and erroneous ways. Then
and only then shall *you* be part of the solution. But don't expect
that they will just roll over! This will be an uphill battle so we
must be persistent! They need to choose libraries that are supporting
accessibility. Or at least choose a library that is *aware* of
accessibility and is moving forward into full blown support of
accessibility.

A comment was made earlier by Mark Roseman about how he would document
accessibly in Tkinter *if* someone else would bring Tk accessibility
into being. This is just one more example of someone paying lip
service to a problem without actually suppressing his selfishness and
producing some action. Mark needs to sound the battle call at his
site. He needs to send an email to the TclTk-dev team daily and ask
how they are coming along with accessibility. Then he needs to post
the response -- or lack there of-- on his site for all to see. He
needs to change his attitude from passive to aggressive. Then and only
then shall change come.

Change happens only when people demand change. And sadly the power to
change accessibility lies not in the hands of those directly affected
but in the hands of those twice removed from the torments of
accessibility. This is the same problem all GUI developers face with
the multiplicity of GUI libraries. If we could get these selfish and
moronic OS developers to agree on one GUI standard then our lives, and
the lives of our users would be bliss. Then we could have universal
accessibility, universal rich widget sets, universal cross platform-
ability, universal speed, universal look and feel, etc, etc.