WxPython versus Tkinter.

Infinity77 andrea.gavana at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:58:36 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 9:57 pm, Robin Dunn wrote:
> On Jan 23, 4:31 pm, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>
> > > WxPython Challenge 1 code updated...
>
> > >  * Fixed tab traveral
> > >  * Removed hand-holding code
> > >  * Removed some cruft
>
> > >  https://sites.google.com/site/thefutureofpython/home/code-challenges
>
> > > Good luck!
>
> > Still crashes the interpreter.
>
> The crash on Linux is due to SetSingleStyle removing the all items and
> the columns when the mode of the listctrl is changed, and then the
> code continues on with the assumption that the columns still exist and
> the crash happens when an item is added to column zero and there is no
> column zero.  Apparently the native widget on Windows doesn't have
> that limitation.  BTW, if the linux wx packages had the runtime
> assertions turned on then you would have seen a Python exception with
> some clues that would probably help solve the problem. I don't know
> about others but on Ubuntu you can install the *wx*-dbg packages to
> get a version with the assertions turned on.  Hopefully that will
> change starting with 2.9 as wx now turns on the assertions by default
> for builds configured normally, and the wx-dev team recommends that
> the assertions are not turned off, except in rare circumstances.
>
> BTW, on behalf of the wxPython community I'd like to apologize for the
> havoc caused by the flaming troll escaping from his cage.  In general
> wxPython users are much less militant and zealotty and honor
> everyone's freedom to choose which ever UI tool kit works the best for
> their own needs.

I have been involved in the wxPython development for many years
(mostly on implementation of custom widgets, in the AGW library), and
I share Robin's concerns about this kind of "publicity" given to
wxPython.

Python comes with TK as a "battery included" UI toolkit. I'm perfectly
fine with this, as I am not going to use it anyway. Whether in the
future TK will be replaced by PyGTK, PyQT, PySide, etc... in the
standard library, it won't make any difference to those aficionados
developers who use wxPython. We'll still download the wxPython
binaries/sources/whatever and use it to develop our own GUIs. There is
simply no match between wxPython and X (substitute X with whatever GUI
toolkit you like). This is obviously my very biased opinion.

It is very unfortunate that this topic "wxPython vs. Tkinter" has
drifted to another flame war, as there is really no point in this kind
of discussion. As a general rule, a GUI-newbie should try all the GUI
toolkits out there and settle with the one which looks easier/nicer/
more convenient/more feature rich. As usual, it is a matter of
personal taste.

For those experiencing with wxPython for the first time, I highly
suggest you to join our wxPython mailing list: you'll find a friendly
place, with many experienced developers answering questions and a BDFL
who's there (almost) every day offering solutions for the toughest
problems.

Andrea.