WxPython versus Tkinter.

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:16:53 EST 2011

On Jan 24, 3:58 pm, Infinity77 <andrea.gav... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been involved in the wxPython development for many years
> (mostly on implementation of custom widgets, in the AGW library), and
> I share Robin's concerns about this kind of "publicity" given to
> wxPython.

Who cares what you think about wxPython's publicity. A module was
created and put on public display and can be ridiculed or supported by
anyone who so desires.

> Python comes with TK as a "battery included" UI toolkit. I'm perfectly
> fine with this, as I am not going to use it anyway. Whether in the
> future TK will be replaced by PyGTK, PyQT, PySide, etc... in the
> standard library, it won't make any difference to those aficionados
> developers who use wxPython. We'll still download the wxPython
> binaries/sources/whatever and use it to develop our own GUIs.

Good, and again i cannot stress how little we care about your opinion.
Why do we not care. Well because you are looking at this from a
wxPython perspective. You are being selfish. We are considering this
from a global Python perspective. What is good for Python may not be
good for you, in any event, it is for us to decide. You can join our
discussion when your perspective changes from "me" to "us". And the
"us" is the Python langauge NOT wxPython.

> It is very unfortunate that this topic "wxPython vs. Tkinter" has
> drifted to another flame war,

There is no flame war here

> as there is really no point in this kind
> of discussion.

Says you. but who are you to say what is important to us. Go back to
wxPython.

> As a general rule, a GUI-newbie should try all the GUI
> toolkits out there and settle with the one which looks easier/nicer/
> more convenient/more feature rich. As usual, it is a matter of
> personal taste.

And i agree. I think any sane person could agree also. However you
miss the point of this conversation. We are looking at Python from a
global perspective. You are limited in your views, and obviously very
biased. And i know the real reason you and Robin do not want wxPython
in the stdlib. Because you do not want to lose your selfish status
within the wxPython community. When wxPython becomes a stdlib module
then you will answer directly to Guido and Python-dev. You are not
fooling anyone with this grandstanding.

Selfishness = Multiplicity = Entropy = Shock = Stagnation = None