trouble installing MySQLdb (cygwin) + Bonus question

Matthew Roth mgroth86 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 17:25:09 EST 2011

Hi,
I'm a python newbie. By newbie I mean two days ago.
It was suggested to me that I work with python.
Unfortunately at work I must run this on a windows machiene.

However, I am having difficultly installing MySQLdb.

First is it even possible under my current environment?
I am using python(2.6.5) through cygwin, and have mySQL(Ver 14.14
Distrib 5.5.8 for Win32) installed in windows 7

which mysql returns:
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.5/bin/mysql

when I run
python setup.py build it returns:
--
$ python setup.py build
/bin/sh: mysql_config: command not found

I've explored various avenues all day to no avail. Can anyone offer a
solution or a direction to work towards. One avenue was ignorning the
check for posix, and having it run setup_windows, but this just brings
in problems with _winreg(?) seeing how I have a posix version of
python through cygwin.

Lastly, for the bonus question.
Why MySQLdb why not something like this:
--
import os
cmd = 'mysql -uroot -pxxx db -e "SELECT * FROM tblxxx;"'

--

why is this a poor idea?

Best,
Matt