WxPython versus Tkinter.

Nicholas Devenish misnomer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 10:13:08 EST 2011

On 25/01/2011 14:11, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
> My preaching done with, I'd like to urge everyone to put this in a bit of
> perspective; essentially, what I don't want is someone walking away with
> Octavian's attitude as a stariotype for us all.

I can't speak for everyone (I don't have that presumption), but to me,
given the two data points, you are certainly coming across as more
level-headed, and thus representative. Octavians posts sound more and
more like rantingricks as time goes on, which is not a good thing.

This entire debate is silly, anyway; wx is doing perfectly well as a
separate, but easily installed library, and I can't forsee a situation
where it's inclusion in the standard library would happen. Even if a
python newbie does start with TK, learning a second GUI toolkit
shouldn't be that much of a struggle for them.

I think even more damaging to any python newcomers than choosing the
'wrong' gui toolkit would be stumbling across this thread whilst looking
for a toolkit; and thinking some of the behaviour here was
representative of the python (or wx) community as a whole, which
couldn't be further from the truth. I know that if I had found this
thread when looking around I would certainly have been put off of wx
(which is the toolkit I decided on when looking around).

Perhaps there is room for a balanced, adult discussion on the future of
GUI toolkits in python; But I don't believe that this can happen here
without substantial changes to a certain persons attitudes (or other
peoples kill files).