WxPython versus Tkinter.

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:55:34 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "geremy condra" <debatem1 at gmail.com>
>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Octavian Rasnita <orasnita at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I know, that's life, which is not right, that's faith, bla bla, but it doesn't mean that my atitude need to be changed.
>>
>> There's a difference between having an opinion and having an attitude.
>> You have both, and it doesn't do you a lot of favors.
>

> I don't understand. Please be more clear.

There's a difference between what you say and how you say it. If a
friend came up to you and said "give me $100 right now!", you probably
wouldn't do it. If the same friend came up to you and said "I know
this is a big thing to ask, but I really need $100 and I can't
guarantee I'll be able to pay you back. Could you please help me?" I
don't know very many people who would refuse if they were able to
help. The reason is simple: the first does not acknowledge the value
of the person doing the favor, and the second does.

More concretely, you have an opinion that not supporting accessibility
is discrimination. Tyler has an opinion that not supporting
accessibility is a bug. Are you going to demand that he change his
opinion? Or are you going to ask that he consider yours?

> Have I said something wrong? Did I use bad words? Or what was it wrong?

I think it was uncivil. It was rude, unkind, and generally
disagreeable. I lost respect for you, and by proxy, for your point of
view. In other words, you lost support not because fewer people agree
with your position, but because fewer people want to agree with you.

> I have just an opinion, but that opinion won't change until the opinion of those who pretend that the discrimination is something normal.
> Do you think that this is not normal?

I didn't ask you to change your opinion. I told you that you would be
more effective if you changed your attitude. Like rantingrick, you're
free to ignore that advice, but it is good advice for both you and the
community, and I urge you to take it.

> Or you recommend me to be just like Tyler that can't use all the apps he could use if they were accessible, but he doesn't care because he cares much more to play nice in order to be accepted in this not-right society?

I would recommend that you learn to be civil to those you disagree
with. The alternative is to be surrounded by them.

Geremy Condra