WxPython versus Tkinter.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jan 25 23:21:40 EST 2011

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:12:23 -0600, Tim Chase wrote:

> On 01/25/2011 07:07 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>> What is it going to take for you (and others) to take me seriously?
>
> Easy: Stop ranting, start writing quality code.

Quality code is a good thing, but there are people who write good code
but are so obnoxious that you wouldn't listen to a word they have to say,
and people who are only mediocre or average coders, but are otherwise
helpful and friendly.

I'm amazed that Rick actually asked that question. Was he being sarcastic?

In virtually every thread he takes part in, he is implicitly or
explicitly told what he needs to do to be taken seriously:

- stop ranting;
- it's not all about him;
- stop using "we" when he really means "me";
- he is not the conscience of the Python community;
- stop pretending to be speaking for the community when it's
  obvious the community doesn't agree with him;
- stop insulting everyone unless they agree with him;
- if people don't agree with Rick, that doesn't mean they're in
  thrall to a hide-bound reactionary elite that has lost all
  touch with what makes Python good;
- enough with the hero-worship of Guido (except when he's
  insulting Guido as well);
- stop demanding others do all the work -- if Rick thinks
  something should be done, he should start a project and begin
  building it, then ask for volunteers to help;
- listen to others' criticisms, don't just dismiss them without
  thought;
- there's no shame in being mistaken if you are big enough to
  admit, and learn from, your errors;
- enough with the over-blown melodrama, Python isn't going to be
  destroyed just because there's some tiny little corner that
  doesn't meet Rick's idea of perfection.

That would do for starters.

TL;DR. The shorter version: stop being a dick, and people will treat you
seriously.

--
Steven