trouble installing MySQLdb (cygwin) + Bonus question

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Jan 26 03:18:20 EST 2011

On 1/25/2011 3:51 PM, Matthew Roth wrote:
> On Jan 25, 6:20 pm, David Robinow<drobi... at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Right, that is precisely what I have. I am able to talk to it from
>>> cygwin, however, during the installing of the MySQLdb module it cannot
>>> find the mysql_config. This is because It is not installed? The setup
>>> sees that I am on a posix system not windows, as python is installed
>>> in cygwin, a virtual posix system. I am trying to bulid a mysql client
>>> from source for cygwin, however, I am running into an error there.
>>
>>> Unless, can I talk to the windows mysql_config? if so, what does that
>>> look like
>>
>>   The obvious answer is to use a Windows python. You haven't explained
>> why you think you need to run a cygwin python. Can you explain that?
>

> Good question. There isn't a solid explanation. heretofore, I have
> been using a lot of bash scripting in combination with awk sed and
> some perl. I was directed to look into python. My tasks were becoming
> increasingly complex and memory intensive. I started with a desire to
> connect to a mysql server. For that I needed to install the MySQLdb
> module. I am having difficultly in acomplishment of this task. I
> suppose for the time it has taken, using windows python would have
> been the simpler route.

    Oh.  And all this time, I thought it was because you needed to
run on a Linux server and were using Cygwin for debugging.

    I routinely develop Python on Windows and run on Linux servers.
This works fine, provided that you can find versions of any necessary C
modules for Python for both platforms.

				John Nagle