WxPython versus Tkinter.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 10:47:49 EST 2011

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com>
> >I don't know why you didn't say this before.
> Comprehention, Octavian. I've made that point multiple times, but your
> to stuck on talking about how selfish people are.

You didn't say that WxPython doesn't work on Python 3, so I don't know what you are talking about.

> >The other part of the discussion is related to the accessibility and
> care for >accessibility and that discussion is not nice at all, because
> it shows
> how
> >selfish are most of the people and they consider this a virtue.
> Selfish? We've had multiple people get interested, and I've had a couple
> of messages off-list about the accessibility, (probably so they wouldn't
> have
> to deal with you). We've even had one person ask for a list of screen
> readers, (and I note you only gave him the one -you- use for the OS
> -you- use). There's
> no selfishness, just your not knowing when to jump off the soapbox and

I couldn't find the word soapbox in the dictionary so I don't know what it means. I guess that not the soap + box.
Please be more clear and not talk like the high school kids.

> stop parroting something just for the sake of complaining about it. It's
> been admitted that TKInter is not accessible,

And I was saying the same thing. What's the problem? Because I keep telling it?

> and discussion has even
> been made about fixing it. Yes, it will take a while, but nothing comes
> in over night. And getting WXPython to the point where it is usable in
> python 3, as has also been mentioned before by many people is going to
> take a lot of work, as well.

Do you think that this really matters?
Do you think that if Python 3 will have support for WxPython much earlier than Tkinter will be accessible, and if WxPython will be fixed to not give segfaults, WxPython will be included in the Python distribution?
I guess that it won't, so it is less important that WxPython has bugs or that it is not available for Python 3.

But we'll see. I can assure you that if after 5 years WxPython will be available for Python 3 but Tk will still be inaccessible for the most used screen reader, Tkinter will still be the default GUI lib.
(And 5 years doesn't mean overnight)

Octavian