WxPython versus Tkinter.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 12:04:57 EST 2011

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com>
> >with JAWS because it is the most used screen reader.
> Get off your me soapbox. Jaws is not the most used. NVDA is taking over,
> quite fast, and lots of people have totally switched to mac or Vinux

Lots of people means an insignifiant percent of users compared with the percent of Windows users.
NVDA is mostly used as a second screen reader in case that something wrong happends with the first one.
It doesn't support a good voice synthesizer like Eloquence or IBM Via voice, but only eSpeak which sounds horrible, it doesn't have a scripting language ready to use as JAWS and Window Eyes do, it doesn't offer the possibility of reading with the mouse cursor as JAWS does with its so called JAWS cursor, it offers a poor accessibility in many applications and many other issues.

> because of the problems with Jaws. It's most used in corporate sektors
> still maybe, but lots of end-users are migrating to Window Eyes, NVDA or
> OSX because of the fact that it is both cheaper and NVDA is open source,
> not to mention free. Just because Jaws -was- most used and -you- use it,
> doesn't mean it still remains so.

Window Eyes always was cheaper than JAWS, however it was never the most used screen reader because it also have its problems.
I don't understand why you care so much about what will *probably* happen in the future and don't care about the present.
An indian saying says that on the long term will be everything fine (because we will be all dead:)

But you are talking just to show how right you are. If you remember about our discussion, we were talking about how inaccessible is Tkinter, and well Tkinter has the  same inaccessibility level under Window Eyes and NVDA just like under JAWS, so I don't know why is it so important to name all those screen readers if someone wants to test Tkinter.
I thought that if someone wants to test how inaccessible is Tkinter, JAWS would be enough because Tkinter is also inaccessible for the other screen readers, and I thought that it would be normally to test the accessibility using the screen reader that offer the most features.

Octavian