WxPython versus Tkinter.

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:22:55 EST 2011

From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler at tysdomain.com>
> >It doesn't support a good voice synthesizer like Eloquence or IBM Via
> voice
> Eloq is an add-on, but it does support it.

If you are saying this, it means that you haven't used it for a long time, or you just heard about it by searching on the web. Eloq is supported, but only as an unofficial hack because the NVDA developers pretend that it is illegally to offer support for Eloquence. They said that Nuance ask them to remove that support from NVDA, and as a consequence, the support for Eloquence was removed and it is harder to find the NVDA Eloquence driver from unofficial sources (and that unofficial support is not the same under all versions of NVDA...)

> >but only eSpeak which sounds horrible
> That's your personal preference. Plenty use and like ESpeak.

That's my personal preference and the preference of all the blind people I know in my country with only one or two exceptions. (If you'd know Romanian, I could give you the address of a forum to ask there if you don't believe me.)
And note that Eloquence doesn't support my native language, but eSpeak does it, however they still don't like eSpeak. Why do you think we don't like it? Because it is so good?

> >it doesn't have a scripting language ready to use as JAWS and Window
> Eyes do,
> Scripting is done in Python, (no, not some native scripting language),
> and are done as modules. You write your script in python, and off you
> go. Problem solved.

Have you done such a script for NVDA?
I've created a sample script in Python that uses the COM interface and I have asked on the NVDA mailing list and on NVDA-dev mailing list if I can use it, but NVDA doesn't offer that feature yet. And I was saying that "NVDA doesn't have a scripting language ready to use". The scripting language can be Python, but it should accept a scripting code, easy to install with a copy/paste, not an NVDA patch. That means "ready to use".

 >it doesn't offer the possibility of reading with the mouse cursor as
JAWS does with its so called JAWS cursor,
It's called flat review. Googling this term brings up a key reference at
like the third or fourth result down.

Tyler, you are a Linux and Mac user and you search with Google and try to explain how many things you know about NVDA, but it is obviously that what JAWS can offer NVDA can't. That flat review can be used to read some things from the screen, and they say that it might also show the coordinates  of the objects, however unlike JAWS, it can't show the coordinates of each character on the screen, and this is important by someone who is totally blind for checking the positions of different text elements on a web page, or in a desktop app. But NVDA can't be used for that.

> the only issue here is you promoting the most "widely used screen reader," because it's what
you use,
and you not being able to use google and do your homework before you
start talking about products you know nothing of.

Tyler, the other list members sustain you because you are also against changing something in order to improve the accessibility and just promise that you will make Tk accessible, and I am sure they won't say anything about your atitude, but your atitude really sucks because it is obviously that you don't know many things about NVDA, and you haven't tried it, you even show that you don't care about the most used OS, you use Mac and Linux, but keep telling me that I don't know about it although I am an NVDA user for a long time.

And all these useless phrases are just for answering to your useless hijack of the discussion, because we are not talking about NVDA here, but about the lack of accessibility in Tk-based applications, and Tk is as inaccessible in JAWS as in NVDA, Window Eyes or other screen readers, so it doesn't matter what screen reader we use for testing that inaccessibility.

Octavian