Bugs/issues in tkinter.simpledialog!!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:26:11 EST 2011

On Jan 28, 2:34 pm, Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kap... at case.edu> wrote:

> It's not that people don't appreciate your help.

First: Thanks for the reasonable response.

> It's that the mailing
> list is not the appropriate place for this type of discussion.

Actually i see you point but there is a good reason behind me bringing
this up here. I want to bring to the attention of everyone how little
interest there is for Tkinter. Not many folks are using Tkinter, most
hate Tkinter,  and not many (if any) are capable of patching the
Tkinter source code. It has been mentioned in this thread that the
last person to do any real work on Tkinter is someone from two years
ago. This is insanity! You know why i think nobody cares..

 * Too much trouble to get patches submitted.
 * Nobody really cares at py-dev so the patches never get resolved.
 * There is resistance in the community to "outsiders".

This mentality is setting us up for a bad bad future. Why are people
so pedantic and emotional. Python does not belong to me, or you, or
anybody. This is a team effort. And whist we need people doing work we
also need to listen to the community. I have had nothing but an uphill
battle dealing with a few "elites" on this list. Anybody can see that
i am serious about helping out. Heck, i want Tkinter to be removed
from the stdlib but yet i still offer help to noobies and still report
bugs.

> Once
> it's been verified as a bug, you should create a ticket on the bug
> tracker, come back here and post a link, and then move the discussion
> over to the tracker.

Agreed. However i would rather just write a patch, send it to some
email and be done. Or just commit the changes myself.  This bug
tracker is just bureaucracy at it's worst. You are making this process
too hard and people are not going to get involved when they have to
jump through 20 hoops just to patch three lines of freaking code!
There is too much red tape here. I COULD HAVE PATCHED HUNDREDS OF LINE
OF CODE IN THE TIME I HAVE WASTED WITH THE BUG TRACKER PROCESS ALONE!
I understand we need checks and balances but at some point the very
safety net we rely on becomes a noose around our neck!  Something
needs to be done!