Use the Source Luke

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Sun Jan 30 09:47:50 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 21:17 -0800, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> My thesis is that we can do even better than that by adding
> direct links from the docs to the relevant code with nice
> syntax highlighting.

+1 - I think the source links are very useful (and thanks for pushing
them).

However I think the biggest changes that have probably happened with
python itself are:

 (1) More users for whom this is their first language.
 (2) CS courses / training not teaching C (or pointer-based languages).

(2) is especially important IMO - under half of the python developers I
have regularly worked with would feel comfortable reading C - so for the
other half reading C source code probably isn't going to help them
understand exactly what's going on (although in the long run it might
help them a lot)

Tim Wintle