multiple values for keyword argument

Patty patty at cruzio.com
Mon Jan 31 21:18:48 EST 2011

  >----- Original Message -----
  >From: Westley Martínez
  >To: python-list at python.org
  >Sent: Monday, January 31, 2011 3:27 PM
  >Subject: Re: multiple values for keyword argument

  >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_(computer_science)

  Hello Westley:

  Thank you for the reference.  I saw something in it that I think is what tripped me up in my understanding of 'self'.  I printed out the page to absorb more later.  It helps me to learn when the concept is introduced to me in terms of comparison to other languages so I like this page.  Here are the two lines from the wiki page, I was probably going to try and 'assign to self' and expecting that I was modifying the original object like it says.  In turn, that is what was leading me to want to name 'self' anything I want, to jog my memory as to 'where it came from' because '*I* am assigning it'.  [I know I should be documenting my code clearly and my memory shouldn't need to be jogged :} ].
  "Some languages, such as Objective-C, allow assignment to this, although it is deprecated. Doing so can be very misleading to maintenance programmers, because the assignment does not modify the original object, only changing which object that the rest of the code in the method refers to, and can end with undefined behavior"

  Regards -

  Patty