The end to all language wars and the great unity API to come!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 22:08:07 EDT 2011

> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:
>
> Adding a new API is seldom the way to decrease the number of API's.
> At least, not without -=very=- centralized control over which API's
> get used.
>
> I actually rather like it that no language has achieved the
> dominance today that C once enjoyed, rightly or wrongly.

You make a good point Dan! Like of most of my threads this one is
evolving into something deeper and more profound. Like i recently
pointed out in my last post we have many languages that are just
slightly different (and sometimes spitting images) of others. For
example Python and Ruby share some very close similarities. Of course
they share many differences also but the point is we are duplicating
too much methodology in our language designs.

You make the argument that C is really all you need. And i whole
hearty agree however you must also agree that there is a great need
for Python and Ruby type languages. Languages that are much more user
friendly than C and don't require memory management.

Remember, most API users are not always CS majors. C is not beyond the
scope of any normal functioning human being however it does require
not only a steeper learning curve but caution whilst wielding it. I
mean who wants a seg fault when scripting Open Office, or how about
writing a page of boilerplate for what amounts to a half page script?

For me the ideal situation we could have is a unity of all the high
level languages. Dump all the repeated syntax's and try to compile the
best of all into as few "scripting langages" as possible. Of we can do
it in one GREAT, if not three or so sounds about correct.

Then these "cream of the crop" could be integrated tightly with
extension writing. So that you could start at the scripting level and
move down as needed for speed and low level stuff when needed.

But we need the application devs to take part or the whole house of
cards comes tumbling down. And how do you motivate people to use a
certain API. Simplicity is one way, peer pressure is another, bulling
when necessarily can help. Whatever it takes because we all have a
vested interest in unity. We must start the ball rolling.Continuing to
propagate selfishness is a self defeating process. If you build it
they will come!