Anyone want to critique this program?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 00:00:16 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I considered that, but I just hate the way it looks when the
> line wraps around to the left margin. I wanted to line it all up under
> the opening quotation mark. The wrapping may not be as much of an
> issue when assigning a variable like this, but I especially don't like
> triple-quoted strings that wrap around inside function definitions.
> That seems to completely throw off the indentation. Do people still
> use triple-quotes in that situation?

Jury's out on that one. You can either back-tab it to the left (looks
ugly), or indent it and then clean it up in code (IS ugly). Up to you
to figure out what's best for your code, and if you want to indent it,
your current way is quite possibly the cleanest.

> Minor or not, it makes sense. I'm picky about things like that too, so
> now that you've pointed it out, I'm compelled to change the names so
> they make sense! :)

:) Names tend to stay the same when the functions they're attached to
grow and shift. Sometimes you end up with these great warts in huge
production code... it's sometimes just too much work to change things.

> Thanks a lot for the tips! I'm going to go back over the whole thing
> and rework some of it. And I'm only doing this for the sake of
> learning, so even the small tips help me to think more like a
> programmer. :)

Learning's good! And Python's an excellent language for the purpose.
Code quickly, invoke quickly (no compilation stage), and see the
results of the work.

ChrisA