web browsing short cut

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Wed Jul 6 04:02:19 EDT 2011

On 07/06/2011 03:30 AM, Dustin Cheung wrote:
> I am looking into Tkinter. But i am not sure if it will actually work.
> This maybe a crazy idea but i was wondering if i can put a web browser
> in the frame. I have tried to use Tkinter to resize and place the
> windows to certain areas of the screen but that's not working or the way
> im approaching this problem is completely wrong. I want to make a
> program that will have websites displayed in specific areas of the
> screen. I was planning on using the program on the big screen. So is it
> possible to put the web browser inside the frame in Tkinter?

What you could do, in effect, is write your own web browser, using an
existing rendering engine. I do not know which rendering engines are how
easily used in Tkinter code (possibly none of them).

This isn't a job for (traditional, cross-platform) Python. It *may* be
possible with pyWin32. It may be easier with the Windows Script Host
(which apparently can support Python). I personally would use
browser-side JavaScript; it's certainly possible to open a popup of a
specific size in JS, not sure about specific position on-screen. Maybe
you have to write an extension for Firefox or Chrome.