Implicit initialization is EVIL!

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:51:30 EDT 2011

On Jul 6, 1:12 am, Gregory Ewing <greg.ew... at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> rantingrick wrote:
> >>What he means is that On Mac, if you close "all" windows, the application is
> >>still running.
>
> > Then that is NOT closing windows that is only ICONIFIYING/HIDING them.
>
> No, the windows really are closed. They no longer exist
> in any way. The application is still running, though, and
> its menu bar will appear if you bring it to the front
> (in MacOSX this is done by clicking on its dock icon;
> in classic MacOS it was done by selecting from the menu
> of running applications that was available in the top right
> corner of the screen).

Yes but what benefit does that gain over say, Tkinter's design
(because that has been your argument). I see no benefit at all. I can
destroy a GUI and still have a script run, but what's the point?

If you design a GRAPHICAL user interface, then once the GRAPHICAL part
is removed (window), why do need the main code to stick around? And if
you do, that fact has nothing to do with Tkinter and window hierarchy.
I think we've gone completely off topic here.

Is this another community strawman contest?
Are we mass producing these things now?