String concatenation vs. string formatting

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 19:29:40 EDT 2011

On 2011.07.08 05:59 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> With the caveat that the formatting of that line should be using PEP 8
> indentation for clarity:
PEP 8 isn't bad, but I don't agree with everything in it. Certain lines
look good in chunks, some don't, at least to me. It's quite likely I'm
going to be writing 98%, if not more, of this project's code, so what
looks good to me matters more than a standard (as long as the code
works). Obviously, if I need to work in a team, then things change.
> > and when a variable is used a bunch of times, concatenation is fine,
I prefaced that sentence with "Other than the case", as in "except for
the following case(s)".
> There is often more than one way to do it. The Zen of Python is explicit
> that there should be one obvious way to do it (and preferably only one).
I meant in contrast to the idea of intentionally having multiple ways to
do something, all with roughly equal merit.

On 2011.07.08 04:38 PM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> Also, string formatting (especially using the new syntax like you are)
> is much clearer because there's less noise (the quotes all over the
> place and the plusses)
I don't find it that much clearer unless there are a lot of chunks.
> and it's better for dealing with internationalization if you need to
> do that.
I hadn't thought of that. That's probably the best reason to use string
formatting.

Thanks, everyone.