Code hosting services

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Wed Jul 13 06:05:14 EDT 2011

On 07/13/2011 08:54 AM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> I know this isn't specific to Python, but it is somewhat on topic. Way
> back when I had a simple project, SourceForge was by far the most
> prominent place to host (and it still is, though to a lesser extent
> now). SourceForge is still an option for me, but I know there are many
> other hosts out there. The problem is I don't which one what the pros
> and cons of each are. Wikipedia has some information, but it's generally
> objective. This is useful, but it's not enough to narrow my choices down
> to one or two. What can you guys recommend?
>
> BTW, I'll likely be sticking with Mercurial for revision control.
> TortoiseHg is a wonderful tool set and I managed to get MercurialEclipse
> working well.

GitHub is massively popular, and a great service. It's based on git (not
mercurial), and is centred around the source repository, and has bug
tracking, wiki, downloads, everything you'll need. What makes GitHub
special (and popular) is the social aspect, allowing you to follow
people, with great management of forks — real distributed (git is a
distributed VCS after all) collaboration. One of GitHub's great features
is, in a way, the huge community — kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bitbucket, which Mr Rachel mentioned, is essentially a not-quite-as-good
clone of GitHub, just using Mercurial. Don't get me wrong, it's a good
product, and may be exactly what you want, but it is a clone, and it
doesn't have the community GitHub has.

Google Code is more SourceForge-style in that it focuses more on having
the landing page linking downloads, not focusing so much on the code
repository. It supports Mercurial repositories, as far as I know. I
don't have much experience with it. All the standard features.

There are a load of older sites, SourceForge, Savannah, Gna!, etc etc
etc, but they don't support VCS other than CVS/Svn for the most part.