"Python Wizard," with apologies to The Who

John Keisling maththespian87 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:31:30 EDT 2011

On Jul 12, 7:02 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
+comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
> John Keisling wrote:
> > After too much time coding Python scripts and reading Mark Lutz's
> > Python books, I was inspired to write the following lyrics. For those
> > too young to remember, the tune is that of "Pinball Wizard," by The
> > Who. May it bring you as much joy as it brought me!
>
> [...]
>
> I wouldn't know a good song parody if it kicked me in the head, but my wife
> is a (retired) professional musician with a history of writing parodies.
> She's not impressed by the work of most "filk singers" and supposed
> parodies, most of which are seventeen kinds of crap... but she gives you
> full marks. And trust me on this, she does not give compliments lightly.
>
> She says you got the rhyming scheme and number of syllables spot on.
> Technically, "That modeling and sim guy" needs to be slurred to make it
> fit, "That mod'ling and sim guy", but that's acceptable.
>
> (Most parodies get the syllable count wrong -- if a lyric goes
> dum-de-dum-de-dum, the parody ends up like dum-dum-de-dum-de-dum or
> dum-de-dum-de.)
>
> Have a +1 from me and the missus.
>
> --
> Steven

I very much appreciate that, coming from someone who clearly values
well-written poetry and lyrics as much as I do! I double majored in
math and English, and I always liked structured poetry. It's very
important to match not only the syllable count, but the meter too. I
also pride myself on never using the same rhyme twice in a song, which
even the original does not manage to do (they used "fall" twice).

Very glad you and the missus enjoyed it!