I don't know list, I not good at list.

Ellerbee, Edward EEllerbee at BBandT.com
Thu Jul 14 09:05:05 EDT 2011

Thank you all for the advice, let me spin this in a different way.

I've built a program that goes to the NANPA website, scrapes area
code/exchange (npa/nxx) digits for a specified area - be it carolina,
alabama, texas, etc - drops it into a file, then massages the data and
prints out the correct format to insert into a voice router. The code is
ugly, but it works great.

The thing I haven't been able to get my script to do is to reduce the
amount of dial-peers. Hence the need to reduce the numbers to the least
common denominator, and put it in the xxxxx[xx] format.If we had a set
number of digits, we could build a dictionary(unless it's possible to do
that dynamically).

So, a couple assertions:
1. the data will always be 6 digit numbers (in a string format)
2. the data is in a txt file after being put there from my script
3. the data will never be the same (I'm going to use this for site
conversions/new site builds
	e.g. today I might be dealing with 252-, 919- and 704- area
codes, tomorrow might be 304- and 754-
4. I wanted a script to reduce the time taking to build the dial-peers
manually. I'd previously spent 3-4 hours
   on gathering and processing data. The script I have so far pulls data
and massages in about 6 seconds
5. I'm using python 2.7 - it seems like it had more module availability
than 3

And a couple question:
1. Would lists be the best way to handle this data? Would it be better
to process this data from a file?
2. Is there a way to determine the common (first-5 digits) denominator
among a list (or file) of data?
3. and... Could those common numbers be inserted in a dict for
processing?

Sorry for the book!

thanks

Edward Ellerbee